As a bacon supplier and wholesaler for Sussex and Kent, Benfell have distributed wholesale smoked rindless bacon as well as back bacon to restaurants, fast food establishments and catering companies for over 40 years. As such, it's fair to say we're fans – and we've collected a few interesting facts about one of the nation's favourite foods:
- Bacon is an industry worth over £900 million!
- Customers purchase over 150,000 tonnes per year and seven out of ten bacon shoppers have already made the decision to buy before they enter the store.
- Rashers are still the most popular type.
- Bacon is the UK’s fastest growing sandwich.
- Bacon or bacoun was the Middle English term used to refer to pork in general.
- Bacon is an excellent source of protein and two or three rashers of grilled back bacon (50g) contains about 13g of protein.
- Bacon is a source of both zinc and selenium. These minerals act as antioxidants and help support your immunity.
- The fat content of Back Bacon has reduced dramatically over the years, by 60% between 1978 and 1996! So it's worth fewer calories than you might think.
If you want to find out more about how our way of business can benefit you, or to find out further information about bacon, or any o the products we offer, one of the team or a member of the family will be more than happy to help you, so please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01273 833641.